Announcing our 2022 Chatelain Young Artist Competition!
This year, we are giving KCCO supporters and listeners the opportunity to hear all of our talented entries by holding auditions as a public recital. Performances will begin at 2:00 on Sunday, February 27th, at Atonement Lutheran Church. Results will be announced after all competitors have played and the judges have had a chance to deliberate.
How to enter:
- Review the competition rules below.
- Download the application form.
- Mail the form and your $35 application fee to Kansas City Civic Orchestra, P.O. Box 224, Shawnee Mission, KS 66201.
Competition Rules and Guidelines
- Competition recital will be a public concert. All entries will perform in front of an audience and competition judges on Sunday, February 27, 2:00pm. Results announced after recital.
- The concerto competition is for ages 11-19.
- Perform from standard concerto/art piece of substantial length, between 8 – 22 minutes total.
- Applicants will perform their entire selected movement/work. Cuts can only be taken in the accompaniment.
- The competition is open to all instrumentalists except piano, saxophone, and percussion.
- First Prize: Performance with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra on May 15, 2022, at Helzberg Hall (Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts) and a cash award of $500.00.
- Second Prize: Recognition in our March and May concerts.
- Kansas City Civic Orchestra reserves the right to have both first and second place winners perform at the May performance.
- Winner(s) must be available for rehearsals on: Tuesday, May 3 & 10 (between 7:30pm–9:30pm) and Sunday, May 15 at Helzberg Hall (between Noon–2pm.) Specific times within these rehearsals will be assigned at a later date.
- All room/board/transportation is at the expense of the competition participant.
- The $35.00 application fee is non-refundable.
- Competition recital date/time/place is non-negotiable.
- Competition participants must supply their respective instrument at audition/performance.
- Competition participants must supply their own accompanist at audition.
- Judges may come from within or may be guests of the Kansas City Civic Orchestra.
- Winner selection will be announced and emailed at the end of the audition day.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- The Kansas City Civic Orchestra may decide not to award winners/prizes.
Failure to abide by these guidelines and rules may result in participant’s disqualification.