KCCO is excited to announce our 2024 Chatelain Young Artist Competition!
Sunday, January 14, 2024
Atonement Lutheran Church, Overland Park, KS
Begins at 2:00PM (specific times will be assigned)
RULES & GUIDELINES
- Competitors will perform in front of an audience and competition judges on Sunday, January 14, beginning at 2:00pm. Results will be announced after recital performances.
- The concerto competition is for ages 11–19.
- Perform from standard concerto/art piece between 8–22 minutes. Piece must be memorized.
- Applicants will perform their entire selected movement/work. Cuts can only be taken in the accompaniment.
- The competition is open to all instrumentalists except piano, saxophone, and percussion.
- First Prize: Performance with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra on May 5, 2024, at Helzberg Hall (Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts) and a cash award of $500.00.
- Second Prize: Recognition in our March/May concert program.
- Both first and second place winners may be invited to perform at the May concert.
- Winner(s) must be available for rehearsals on Tuesday, April 25 and May 2 (between 7:30pm–9:30pm) and Saturday, May 6 at Helzberg Hall (between 1–3:30pm.) Specific times within these rehearsals will be assigned at a later date.
- All room/board/transportation is at the expense of the competition participant.
- The $35.00 application fee is non-refundable.
- Competition recital date/time/place is non-negotiable.
- Competition participants must supply their own instrument at audition/performance.
- Competition participants must supply their own accompanist at audition.
- Judges may come from within or may be guests of the Kansas City Civic Orchestra.
- Winner selection will be announced immediately following judge’s deliberation at the end of the recital and emailed at the end of the audition day.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- The Kansas City Civic Orchestra may decide not to award winners/prizes.
Failure to abide by these guidelines and rules may result in participant’s disqualification.
Applications must be received by January 5.
Please contact Music Director Chris Kelts with questions.