The Kansas City Civic Orchestra is excited to host its inaugural concerto/aria competition. Auditions will take place on Friday, January 16, 2015, 4-9:30 p.m.. The winner will perform with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra’s season finale concert on Saturday, May 2, 2015.
How to enter
- Please read the competition rules below
- Download the application form
- Obtain a recommendation from music instructor
- Mail form and $25 application fee to: Kansas City Civic Orchestra, P.O. Box 224, Shawnee Mission, KS 66201
Applications must be received by December 22, 2014. (New extended deadline!)
Competition rules and guidelines
*Please Read Carefully*
- Competition Audition Date is: Friday, January 16, 2015 (Atonement Lutheran Church), 4-9:30 p.m.
- The Concerto/Aria competition is for ages 13 – 19.
- Perform a solo orchestral work that is no less than 13 minutes and no greater than 25 minutes in length from memory (can be a movement from a standard concerto or a multi movement work. Vocal applicants may choose to sing multiple arias.)
- Audition time slots will be up to 15 minute intervals (cuts are acceptable for the audition).
- The competition is open to all instrumentalists/voice types (except piano & saxophone).
- 1st place winner will receive a performance with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra on Saturday, May 2, 2015 and a prize of $250.00.
- 2nd place may receive acknowledgement at our March 13, 2015 performance.
- Kansas City Civic Orchestra reserves the right to have both 1st and 2nd place winners perform on the May 2015 concert.
- Winner(s) must be available for rehearsals on: Tuesday, April 21 & 28 (between 7:30pm – 9:30pm) and Saturday, May 2 (between 9:00am – 3:00pm).
- All room/board/transportation is at the expense of the competition participant.
- The $25.00 application fee is non-refundable
- Audition date/time/place is non-negotiable.
- An audition time will be emailed to participant within one week of the application deadline.
- Competition participants must supply their respective instrument at audition/performance.
- Competition participants must supply their own accompanist at audition.
- Judges may come from within or guests of the Kansas City Civic Orchestra.
- Winner selection will be announced/emailed at the end of the audition day.
- Competition winner decision is final.
- The Kansas City Civic Orchestra can decide not to award winners/prizes.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines and rules may result in participant’s disqualification.