Deadline Extended to Monday, January 25th!
The Kansas City Civic Orchestra is excited to host its inaugural concerto competition. Auditions will take place on Saturday, February 6, 2016, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The winner will perform with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra’s season finale concert on April 30, 2016.
How to enter
- Please read the competition rules below
- Download the application form
- Obtain a recommendation from music instructor
- Mail form and $25 application fee to: Kansas City Civic Orchestra, P.O. Box 224, Shawnee Mission, KS 66201
Applications must be received by January 25, 2016.
Competition rules and guidelines
*Please Read Carefully*
- Competition Audition Date is: Saturday, February 6, 2016 (Atonement Lutheran Church) 10:00am – 3:00pm (time assigned).
- The concerto competition is for ages 13 – 19.
- Perform a solo orchestral work that is no less than 9 minutes and no greater than 20 minutes in length, from memory (can be a movement from a standard concerto or a multi movement work.)
- Audition time slots will be up to 15 minute intervals (cuts are acceptable for the audition).
- The competition is open to all instrumentalists (except piano & saxophone).
- First place winner will receive a performance with the Kansas City Civic Orchestra on Saturday, April 30, 2016 and a prize of $250.00.
- Second place may receive acknowledgement at our March 12, 2016 performance.
- Kansas City Civic Orchestra reserves the right to have both first and second place winners perform on the April 2016 concert.
- Winner(s) must be available for rehearsals on: Tuesday, April 19 & 26 (between 7:30pm – 9:30pm) and Saturday, April 30 (between 9:00am – 3:00pm.) Specific times within these rehearsals will be assigned at a later date.
- All room/board/transportation is at the expense of the competition participant.
- The $25.00 application fee is non-refundable.
- Audition date/time/place is non-negotiable.
- An audition time will be emailed to participant within one week of the application deadline.
- Competition participants must supply their respective instrument at audition/performance.
- Competition participants must supply their own accompanist at audition.
- Judges may come from within or may be guests of the Kansas City Civic Orchestra.
- Winner selection will be announced & emailed at the end of the audition day.
- Judges decision is final.
- The Kansas City Civic Orchestra can decide not to award winners/prizes.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines and rules may result in participant’s disqualification.